Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bali: The End or the Beginning

So I have reached the end of the Bali blogs. As you can tell, it was a terrific trip, full of fun and adventures, many of which I have now written up.  It was also deeply restful, especially so because, after the first few posts, I decided not to blog and instead to enjoy the experience fully, without getting near a computer. It was the right decision. We walked, sat by the pool, looked at the ocean and read good books. We went to a Balinese healer for some body work and to a Balinese holy man for some spiritual guidance. We enjoyed our time with Ben and Stephanie so much. We loved doing all the things I've now shared with you. And yes, to say it one more time, the food, oh the food, was just superb.

Just in case you're wondering, we stayed at two small boutique hotels that were just wonderful and very reasonably priced. We would highly recommend them. Alila Ubud is in the central part of the country; Alila Manggis is on the southeastern coast.

You can read the Bali posts any way you like, top down or bottom up. If you do the bottom up, which will give you a better sense of the trip's narrative flow, move yourself down to June 26 and read backwards to the top.

In many of these posts, I've kept the photographs small because there were so many I wanted to include. On most computers, you can click on the photos to make them bigger if you want to check out the details.

One last picture. Ahhhhh.

2 comments:

Cynthia Winton-Henry said...

Enjoyed looking through the trip photos and your reflections. So lovely and sensual. I love the image: the burning of the bones and the belief that in our bones our essence is stored and passes to new family. Bones are very "shape" oriented in my way of thinking. Love you

Dennis Whittle said...

I have just one question: What time should we show up for dinner?

:)

I first went to Bali in 1981, when there were almost no paved roads. Then I lived in Jakarta from 1987-92, and we could fly RT to Bali on the weekends for $130. Indonesian food is the most unheralded in the world, and there is no better place to eat it than in Bali. My jealousy is off the charts!